question about apt and slink->potato

I seem to be missing the man pages for apt-get on my slink box so I
wondered for all intents and purposes what's the actual difference
between doing apt-get dist-upgrade and just using dselect on a box
where all the sources use the term 'stable' instead of 'slink' after potato
has gone stable...

(I have tried doing 'man apt-get' as root in case that made a
difference, still nothing. I'm also missing pages for sources.list and
apt.conf. Does this seem to suggest some particular package that I
might be missing? Anyways, I'm hoping that in the Great Potato
Upgrade that I'll finally get those pages)
Alice M. Pinard
Casco Indemnity Company
alice@cascoind.com