Basic questions about X

       Debianers,

     I installed Debian 2.2 this weekend and had some problems with X.
During the installation I made a mistake configuring the mouse and decided to
reconfigure the X using the XF86config. I did it. But, I don't know why, when I
boot Debian it initializes the X automactilly. To correct this I tried to change
the runlevel on the inittab file, but it doesn't work. How correct this?
    And when I start the X window it starts AfterStep, how change this
defaults? How start another window manager instead AfterStep? How start gnome?

                 Thanks,
           Ricardo Gabriel Herdt