Modprobe and modules - is this a problem?

I am running Potato with kernel 2.2.17pre6.

If I dial out to my ISP kmod loads the appropriate modules but
they are not unloaded, after pppd is terminated, even though
there is a Root crontab to do this.

If I type, as Root,  'modprobe -r', which I understand will
unload any unused modules, no modules are unloaded.  This is, of
course, after pppd is terminated.

I can load the ppp modules manually and, if pppd is not running,
I would assume that these modules are 'unused' and would be
unloaded with 'modprobe -r' but they are not.

I can unload then if I specify the module name(s) on the modprobe
command line.

Am I misunderstanding the process or is there something wrong?

Barry Samuels