Re: printing printcap

Hello there,

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, s. keeling wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 19, 2000 at 02:35:52PM -0500, Debian Mail wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Debian ghost here... have a question about printing via debian.
> > I ran the magicfilterconfig and set up a laser jet printer on the lan.
> > I think I have this thing correct, but I get an error when I try to send
> > anything to the printer.
> >
> > from printcap:
> > lp|ljet|Lazer Jet:\
> >         :lp=:sd=/var/spool/lpd/ljet:rm=156.200.5.80:rp=ljet:lpr_bounce:\
> >         :sh:pw#80:pl#66:px#1440:mx#0:\
> >         :if=/etc/magicfilter/ljet4l-filter:\
> >         :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:
> >
> > here is the error I receive when I try to print:
> >
> > dghost@ghost:~$ cat funny |lpr
> > lpr: connect: Connection refused
> > jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.
>
> As Randal Schwartz would say, unnecessary use of cat, for one thing.
>
> lpr funny
>
> Is lpd running?  [ps aux | grep -v grep | grep lpd]
>
> If not, (as root) /etc/init.d/lpd start		[or restart]
>
> grep lpd /var/log/messages

I had exactly the same problem, and lpd was running on my  machine. It
first occured, when I upgraded the box with the printer attached to it to
potato, while the other one is still slink. I suppose the problem has
something to do with host authentication, which has been thightened in the
lpr-version in potato. But I couldn't figure it out (tried everything with
/etc/hosts.allow, /etc/hosts.deny, /etc/hosts.lpd and so on) up to now.
Hope someone knows the answer.

Regards,
Daniel