Re: using my /dev items - playing CDs

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 12:32:23AM -0400, Thomas J. Hamman wrote:

> Perhaps you need to add yourself to the "disk" group (the group that
> owns disk drives) the same way you added yourself to the "audio" group.

no you need to add yourself to the cdrom group and perhaps change the
group on the cdrom device to `cdrom'  (only if its an ide cdrom)

> Glancing at my /etc/group file, it looks like that's what I did..

that is an exceedingly bad thing to do, you are now running with as
good as root privileges full time.  (take a look at the permissions on
the device for your hard disk, root partition, and any other
partitions to see what i mean)

i don't think i need to explain why running as root all the time is
bad.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/