Re: PLEASE: standard package README file/orientation

On Sat, Aug 19, 2000 at 03:23:22PM -0400, Daniel Barclay wrote:

> Why don't all Debian packages come with installation instructions
> in a _standard_ place that tell you what you need to do (after
> installing the package) to configure or use the package you just
> loaded?

Most Debian packages don't need additional configuration after they've
been installed.  (A pretty big majority also have binary names that
match the package names.)

> PLEASE think about what happens right after users install a
> package:

> They know the name of the package.

Yes.

> They don't necessarily know the name of any commands, other
> executables, or configuration files provided by the package.

> Therefore, they can't use any of those names to try to find any
> manual pages for those the package.

Yes, they can: dpkg --listfiles pkgname

> There needs to be root documentation for each package that contains
> or points to information on:

For "each package"?  I don't think so!  The great majority of packages
do not need any such documentation.  I think it would be extremely
pointless for me to add a file saying "To run ted, type 'ted'.  To
configure 'ted', type 'ted' and then use the menus.  To see the
documentation, type 'man ted' or type 'ted' and click on 'Help'."  If
we do this for every package in the system, we add a bunch of useless,
bloated crap to the system.  Furthermore, it's just one more thing to
worry about and to have get out of sync with reality.

Now, for those packages where it isn't easy to figure out what to do
(and where dpkg --listfiles doesn't help), there should be some
information in /usr/share/doc/README.Debian or something.  If you find
such packages, and they aren't adequately documented already, I
suggest that you file wishlist bug reports.  But let's not go
overboard here.  Making this a requirement for all packages is just
silly.  I venture to guess that 80% of all packages have a binary that
matches the package name, and don't need *any* (re)configuration.  And
of the remainder, most do have adequate documentation already.

cheers