Selt-built kernel - complaints about modules!

Hello

I have problems with my freshly baked kernel / modules: when booting,
just after the "Calculating module dependencies..." message I get errors
complaining about it not finding the modules smbfs, vfat, this, that and
some more...

(I also mv'ed /etc/init.d/kerneld to .old)

With the standard 2.2.15 I don't get this...?!

I used apt-get install kernel-source-2.2.17, untar'ed in /usr/src,
and did the rest with make-kpkg from there on... please help me someone.
:(

Cheers
Sven