Debian 2.2 setup problem

Hi list,
Firstly, let me apologize if this shouldn't be posted here, if so, please
let me know, and point me to a more appropriate source.

I'm trying to set up debain 2.2.

When getting to the stage where I make the hard disk bootable, I says it
can't do it. I've tried using an 8mb partition (primary) at the beginning
of the disk, as well as directly to the MBR, all to no avail.

The disk in IDE 2.5gb. My one question is, should I have loaded an IDE
driver when choosing drivers? could that be the problem? I also tried
making a boot floppy which failed too. The worst bit about this is that I
loose 45min's work overtime I restart the computer.

Only linux is going on this disk (primary master)

System is:
P166
96mb ram
2.5 gb IDE (linux)