KDE-->GNOME, how to switch

I did the stormix install of the latest Deb,
and I told it to install both KDE and GNOME.
It comes up in KDE and I can't figure out how
to make the switch to GNOME.  I thought I had
to put something like "gnome-exec" in my
xstart file, but I don't even see such a file
in my home directory, just a bunch of Kde start
up files.

I went to www.gnome.org, helix and www.linuxdoc.org.
To my amazement there was no nitty-gritty details about
how to do this.  Mainly just install the package,
and here's the end user manual.

Also, I was surprised by the desktop environments.
I've been working on unix for years, but mainly
in emacs with a command shell and gdb, developing
C code.

Now I have this spiffy desktop with lots of
windows-like utilities, which I have no use for.
I can see its appeal to a window's end user, but
I feel a level removed, like there is something going
on in the background but I can't get to it.
This is just an initial impression, I know it will
go away as I use it more.

- greg strockbine