Re: fetchmail is eating my mail

"Richard E. Hawkins" <reh18@psu.edu> writes:

> Due to hardware problems, I've had to reinstall.  I've lost the
> configuration that was semi-working.
>
> Fetchmail is now eating my mail.  It retrieves the messages, deletes
> them from the server, and yet I have no mail.  /var/spool/mqueue is just
> plain empty.
>
> I'm not having a good week . . .
>
> [I've set one of teh reply-to addresses to a safe m achine]

I had pretty much the same symptoms. It happened because fetchmail
didn't know where to deliver the mail because localhost was
unknown. 'ping localhost' to see if it works. If not and you're on a
2.2 system, make sure that 'iface lo inet loopback' in
/etc/network/interfaces is not commented out, then restart the
network. Until you get fetchmail working, use 'fetchmail -kvv'
(keep the mail, be Verbose).
--
Andre