Re: What is stormix

Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca> wrote:

> Not that you need Storm to be able to do this.
> I use potato and have installed sl-stormpkg_1.0-1_i386.deb
> from the stormix web site and it works fine.

Exactly. Greg mentioned earlier in this thread that it is a pity Storm
is a commercial distribution. I feel it is worth pointing out that Storm
*is* Debian with extras. The important point is that, so far, these
extras are all available for anyone to use and can be installed on a
plain Debian distro. This is very different from the way Corel did
things and is one of the reasons I feel Stormix deserves our support.
You can but a 'free' Cheapbytes CD and still get a full Storm install.

I like the combination of the Debian we all know and love with the spit
and polish of Stormix. For the first time I can advocate a Debian distro
to those thinking of trying Linux. Previously I just had to steer them
away towards Mandrake or SuSE because I knew they would not make it past
dselect. It will inevitable mean more people end up using Debian and the
Debian package format, to the benefit of us all.

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Storm Linux