Re: Netscape Bus Error

On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 04:42:26AM -0400, Ed Cogburn wrote:
> kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> >
> > It means Netscape is crap software.
>

> 	Not everyone has these kinds of troubles with Netscape.  I'm not
> saying its great, because it isn't, but neither is it "crap" software.

I stand by my statements.

> [snip]
> > Mozilla should improve much of this, but the default build is far too
> > complex for a basic browser.  Gzilla and/or Gnutella look like far more
> > promising projects.  Both are based on the Gecko rendering engine, but
> > strip out much of the bloat being pumped into Mozilla.
>

> 	To be fair to Mozilla, it is trying to do much more than what Gzilla
> and Gnutella do.  Mozilla is not just a browser, it is attempting to
> provide the main features found in Netscape Communicator, i.e., mail
> and newsgroup support.  We disagree on what is 'bloat' obviously.  :-)

Simplicity of design and singularity of purpose are key tenets of
building solid software which accomplish needed goals.  Confounding
software by integrating multiple functionality into a single product has
a strong tendency to decrease the quality of the product as a whole.
Modular construction with simple interconnections tends to produce
better software.  It's the Linux way.

Mozilla *does* have a modular design.  However, the modules interact as
a single unit, and the default build tends to be more, not less.  This
is less than desirable.  The emergence of not one but several projects
to simplify its design should be telling the Mozilla organization
something.

I tend to see Mozilla as largely good software and largely good design.
It's the final packaging I disagree with.  Strongly.

All IMVAO, of course.