netatalk nits

Hi, I installed netatalk on a potato system (which is also a Samba
server).  When I try to copy a folder from a share to a Mac, the
folder itself is created OK but for every file foo in the folder the
Mac displays the following message:

The file "foo" couldn't be read, because it is in use.  Do you want to
continue copying?

The folder is on one of the Samba shares (actually, I set the netatalk
shares to be the same as the Samba ones), and Windows machines can
read and write it fine.

What does this mean?

--
Ian Zimmerman