Re: still unable to get kernel source - solved

On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 11:55:28PM -0500, John Reinke wrote:
> My problem: I could never decompress any kernel source file I
> downloaded without it aborting with errors.
>
> My solution: I uninstalled the bzip2 package and then reinstalled it.
> That fixed the problem, so I'm on to xconfig, which seems to work now...

Hi John,

After reading your previous mail I was going to suggest that maybe you
have a corrupted bzip2, or corrupted RAM.  I'm glad it's not the RAM!

To answer your question about the gzipped files in /usr/share/doc
directories, I assume they are gzipped to save disk space.  There are
some file managers, like mc, that let you look at gzipped text files
without gunzipping them first.

Tom