Re: dselect shows all packages to be removed?

On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 02:53:55AM +0200, null void wrote:
> Suddenly...dselect now shows all packages pending removal...this is
> dangerous...Can I make dselect somehow correct itself?

I've seen this before, am not quite sure how I bailed out of it.  Take
the following as advisory but not necessarily correct.

First, *don't* allow dselect to commit those changes.  You'll have a lot
of recovery to do.

Under /var/lib/dpkg, you'll see a bunch of files matching "status*".
I believe I've moved "status" to something like "status.bak", and tried
looking at various prior versions until I've found something that
doesn't want to perform drastic surgery on my system.

This may be covered under docs somewhere, I'd try prowling through dpkg,
dselect, or apt-get manpages.

Good luck.