Apache -- SSL and normal on same system?

I've been running Apache successfully for a long time, and would like
to add a secured virtual site to my collection.  I tried installing
Debian apache-ssl but ran into a brick wall figuring out how to make it
work both for normal http on port 80, and https on port whatever.
Could some kind soul give me a pointer on how to set this up.  All the
documentation I've found for apache-ssl seems to assume that you're
going to run only a secure site, and not a mix.

(By the way -- I know that in an e-commerce setting you'd want the
secure server to be on a separate box.  I'm not doing anything nearly
that critical, so don't mind the risk of having both secure and
unsecure servers running on the same machine.)

Thanks,

John Ackermann
jra@febo.com

--