Missing /lib/modules/ in root boot up floppy disk

Hello,

I'm trying to install debian (Potato) in an old PC using floppy disks.
The PC boots up from the "rescue" disk, I hit <return> to proceed and
after a few messages I'm asked to enter the "root" diskette. The PC
reads this diskette and then enters the installation menus as expected.

The problem is that while reading the root diskette I see a bunch of
messages saying

modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.2.17/modules.dep
(no such file or directory)

Then I want to mount from an NFS directory where the base system is
available but for this I need the network drivers. If I choose the
option "Configure Device Driver Modules" I get the error message (I
press alt-F3 to see it)

configured modules; modconf returned 32512

So, how are the system modules supposed to be loaded during the
installation process?

Thank you,

--
Pedro