update-alt. window mangrs

I have installed 2 window manager debian packages (sawfish,afterstep) and one from source (blackbox) now when I go update my window manager via update-alternatives --config, it can only see the debian packages...how do I add the third one there? and I am also curious...accdg to the man pages update alternatives is used so that the system wont have a hard time choosing a preferred program..if no program is specified right?..anyway, my question is why doesn't mail show up in /etc/alternatives? like mutt, pine...etc..unlike the editors?