Re: netscape security hole

reznaeous@earthlink.net said:

> Why not just stick with an installation package like is used for
> RealPlayer?

Real does not allow redistribution of their binaries, which means that it
would not be legal for you to fetch the binaries off of Debian's archive.
Software like that requires an installer.

There is no such restriction on redistribution of Netscape binaries.
However, you don't get the source code either so it's certainly not free.

Note also that there is currently a proposal to remove all
non-free/contrib from the Debian archives completely.  One camp argues
that some of this stuff is pretty important and, after all, the users
come first so we should make it available to them.  The other camp
argues that users aren't making the proper distinction between what
"is" and what "is not" part of Debian and that providing Debian's only
furthers that confusion.  I guess you are proving their point.

rgds-- TA  (tallard@frb.gov)
I don't speak for the Federal Reserve Board, it doesn't speak for me.