Re: woody: xterm "clients" (mc, lynx) do not use the xtrem* from Xresources?

> On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 07:49:50AM +0300, Shaul Karl wrote:
> > I was not explaining myself well. Allow me to try once more:
> >
> > I have a 14" screen. When I am using Debian's menu system and issue
> > 	XShells->Xterm
> > I am getting an xterm whose width is roughly the width of my screen. I believe
> > that this is due to my use of
> > 	xterm*Font:           10x20
> > in my `/.Xresources, which forces the xterm window to be of a certain width.
> > Until recently, when I used, for example, Apps->System->Top to see the
> > processes on the machine I was getting a window which had the size of the
> > above xterm. But starting from Yesterday this is not the case. Now top (or
> > other text apps) window is much smaller then my xterms. My guess is that for
> > some reason the xterm*Font is not used anymore by these apps. How can I fix it
> > so that these xterm "clients" will be opened in a window which has the size of
> > my xterms?
> > My window manager is fvwm.
>
> Are you positive it's being run with xterm and not some other
> x-terminal-emulator (kvt, rxvt, gnome-terminal, etc...)?  There are some
> subtle differences between xterm*font, Xterm*font, xterm*Font and
> Xterm*Font. In an xterm, Ctrl-<Right Click> should allow you to change
> the font size on the fly as well (if it doesn't give you a menu -- maybe
> it's not an xterm...).

Thanks. You have given me an intermediate solution.
When I press Ctrl-<Right Click> on the opened text app (be it top, mc,
gnuplot) I can see that the VT Fonts are the default fonts. I can then choose
Huge in order to get the fonts and window size that I am used to.
Well, almost. Having the text app resized window lying on top of an xterm
shows that the xterm window is still a bit wider.

What is the required resource for getting a Huge fonts in any xterm?
Changing xterm*Font into Xterm*Font made the xterm window have the size of the
smaller size of the windows of the text apps and not the other way around.

And the underlying problem remains: Why are all these text apps being started
in a smaller window? It was not like that before. Is there a bug somewhere? Am
I the only one who have this problem?

BTW: I do not have any other x-terminal-emulator on my system beside xterm.