Re: Wacom Graphire?

"Jonathan Markevich" <jmarkevich@mad.scientist.com> writes:

> Has anyone used the Wacom Graphire tablet successfully?  It would be
> a slick addition to Corel's PhotoPaint.  I noticed there's a
> serial/PS2 connection available as well as the more common USB
> stuff.  Does that make a difference (presuming, of course, that USB
> support is available)?

Did anyone reply to this?  Anyway, yes, they work.  Probably the
serial version is a bit safer than the USB, but the USB version can
also be got to work.  The issue is that you needs a kernel which
supports USB (a 2.2 kernel with the backport, say), and the USB
XFree86 driver is less mature than the serial Wacom driver, so you can
expect a few problems (there's a known staircase effect in the code
that does smoothing, for example).  The wheel on the mouse works as
you'd expect, so for £75 or so, you get a cordless wheeled mouse
together with a decent pen.