Serial mouse

I got a basic potato running in a pentium 75, with a serial mouse. But
it does not seem to work. I thought it would work right away, after
enabling serial ports as module in the kernel, but it doesn't show to be
alive. I have another potato running in a pentium II 400, with a ps-2
mouse, which works with in both console and X nicely. Now, I just have
the basic base from boot floppies running in the P-75, because I have a
mirror in the other (P-400), from which I plan to finish the
installation after connecting it to the P-400. Am I missing something,
or the serial 3-b mpuse needs something as gpm to work?
Thanks,
Antonio.