Re: displaying binary files

On Sat, 5 Aug 2000, john smith wrote:

> Thanks Sven. But I was hoping for a script that would ask some sort of a
> question like "this file is in binary form..would you like to see it anyway?
>   y/n" something in that regard...and it should be global too.
>

> >From: Sven Burgener <svenb@bluewin.ch>
> >To: john smith <inquirer23@hotmail.com>
> >CC: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >Subject: Re: displaying binary files
> >Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 01:09:12 +0200
>
> >"file" comes in very handy for this. Recognises pretty many file
> >formats. Try it.
> >
> >Sven
> >--
> >    I am the "ILOVEGNU" signature virus. Just copy me to your signature.
> >This email was infected under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

Don't know when and where this thread began. So this might be irrelevant.
I suppose you could write a wrapper for viewing, but  "MOST" automatically
uses the two column format used in binary editors with dots for 8 bit chars
when it comes upon a binary file. Doesn't "LESS" simply replaces 8 bit
chars with a dot. I'm not sure but lynx might be able to be setup for 7 bits
the 128 column being knocked off, displaying the 7 bit char left, I seem to
remember this but I am not really sure. To tell the truth  I don't use the
console, didn't know the display was destroyed when viewing binary files -
really ? - no way around this?