Re: displaying binary files

On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 10:46:31PM +0000, john smith wrote:
> Greetings,

Hello

> 1. if the console is "trashed" already with displaying binary..is there a
> way to make it recover w/o rebooting? logging out of the console doesn't
> seem to work.

"reset", as has been suggested to me in an older thread on this list. It's
the easist method.

The other method of un-fsck'ing the terminal is by typing 'Ctrl-V' followed
by 'Ctrl-O' and then hitting Enter.

> 2. how do I make debian ask/warn first before displaying a binary file?

"file" comes in very handy for this. Recognises pretty many file
formats. Try it.

Sven
--
   I am the "ILOVEGNU" signature virus. Just copy me to your signature.
This email was infected under the terms of the GNU General Public License.