Cable modem problems (hardware or software?)

Greetings,
	I am using road runner for cable modem service.  I am using pump for my
dhcp client ob a potato box (Pentium 233MMX -- 16MB RAM).  The cable modem
I've got is a SURFboard 2100.  My problem is that occasionally that my cable
modem will "lock up" -- The activity LED will light up and stay on, and I
cannot connect to the box from elsewhere (I'm using a www.dyndns.org client
to get the address).
	This only seems to happen when I have the potato box going.  Anyone have an
idea if this is a pump problem or if it's just a hardware thing that I have
to live with?  Will it get better if I use another DHCP client?  Help!
Help!  Help!

Thanks,

Brooks