Re: Re Rescue Disks, Tom's btrt

On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 09:38:22PM +0100, Phillip Deackes wrote:
> kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> >
> > LinuxCare does, with their Bootable Business Card:
> >   ISO image:  http://static.linuxcare.com/iso/lnx-gold.iso
> >   Info:       http://www.linuxcare.com/bootable_cd/download.epl
>
> Looks very interesting.
>
> I don't have a writeable CDROM drive, but I do have an internal zip100
> drive. Is there any way I can create a bootable Zip disk using the BBC?
> My motherboard will boot from the zipdrive. I know nothing about ISO
> images, but there must be a way to write them to other media.

You should be able to mount the Bootable Business Card (BBC) ISO image
as a loopback filesystem on your system, then copy this to the zipdisk,
which gets you part of your solution.

The BBC uses syslinux as a boot manager, I'm not overly familiar with
how this works, but I assume you'd have to muck with the Zip disk to
make it work properly.

Next, the BBC uses a file which starts off as a shell script then
includes actual image data, in compressed format, as a mounted static
image.  I don't know what specific magic was done to this, but it's
possible that this could be made to work without extensive changes.

Finally, you'd have to find where the BBC expects things to be on the
CDROM, probably changing /etc/fstab and other portions of the disk.

If you do decide to do this, you might want to ask more generally for
hints (or solutions) from other folks (try the LinuxCare website),
and/or post your own results.  Would make a cool little Linux Zip
distro.

...of which there are several which you may also want to look at.

Cheers.