Re: Loopback in "interfaces" Wrongly Commented on Upgrade

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 01:27:16AM -0400, Jameson Burt wrote:
> As I upgraded from slink to potato,
> I believe an interactive comment mentioned that 2.2.* kernels
> (I run kernel 2.2.16) need no explicit loopback.
> Because of my selection, the upgrade script produced a file
>         /etc/network/interfaces
> with all lines commented.
> In particular, this "interfaces" file had the following line
>         # iface lo inet loopback
> not
>         iface lo inet loopback
> UNCOMMENTING THIS LINE GOT MY SYSTEM WORKING AGAIN.

Well, duh.  It's commented out by default because lo is initialised in
/etc/init.d/network in slink.  Not sure what happened to your
/etc/init.d/network ... (I had to delete mine by hand - good
riddance).

--
Nathan Norman         "Eschew Obfuscation"          Network Engineer
GPG Key ID 1024D/51F98BB7            http://home.midco.net/~nnorman/