Re: Rescue Disks

"Richard Ingram" <richardingram@mindspring.com>

> I have been upgrading Xfree but something obviously went wrong as when I
> boot up now it hangs at the starting Xfontserver startup and does not even
> get to the login prompt. Before I blat over and reinstall debian is there an
> easy way of creating a set of rescue disks ? I just need to edit a startup
> file on my root disk. My system is booted from floppy and mounts the SCSI
> disc.

Is there  a way to pass command arguments at boot time ? In that case
you could boot with the arg 'single' into single user mode and
fix the error.
(why do you use a boot floppy btw ?)

Another way to fix the thing would be to login remotely. AFAIK all
networking systems are started way before xfs, so just ssh or telnet
into the machine.

If these methods are not applicable then search the debian ftp site (under
dists/frozen/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44)
for rescue.bin and root.bin. These are the install disks you'll need
to boot.

HTH
--
Ragga