xfree86 4.01

The deb packages for xfree4 dont seem to be out yet...will it happen do you guys think?

Im wondering if I should compile from source...I really want to get q3 running well and have been told 4.01 is wonderfull with the tnt2 card I have.

1) Has anyone had any luck compiling from source?

2) What things to check for before installing? e.g.  anything special that I need before starting the process?

Thanks for your input guys....Im scared to break X if I screw something up.

-E