Re: Remote Apps

Quoting Ethan Pierce (ethan_pierce@gdt1.com):
> Id like to be able to run ftp and telnet to my home machine from work...normally this works fine.  Today I thought I would just boot up my home machine to the login and leave it there to save some processor...theoretically this is supposed to work?  I called another friend (this is b4 I left for work) and had him log in...this worked.  I left for work and when I arrived couldnt log in...hmm

What do you mean by "couldn't log in"?

> Called my girlfriend and had her log in locally...now I could get in again from work...weird
>
> I logged out remote , then came back an hour later...couldnt connect to or ping my machine...called her up again and had her startx thinking maybe I needed something running full time to have the remote network access.  Now things are working remotely without the hitch.

What do you mean by couldn't connect to my machine?

> Now, my questions are:
> 1)Does remote network access depend on users logged in locally?

No.

> 2) If a user is logged in locally and times out so to speak from not doing anything will this cut off remote access?

No.

The problem is, you say nothing about how you're trying to connect.
Are you on cable, or are you using the telephone?
Did the telephone get answered? On each occasion?

Rather than post exactly what happened and what didn't, you seem to
have decided that it's something to do with other users on the machine.
I don't know why.

Cheers,