Re: [Q] virus susceptibility data

William T Wilson wrote:
  >On 18 Jul 2000, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
  >
  >> I'm looking for any kind of info on vulnerability to viruses on Debian
  >> and/or Linux.  Pointers to anti-virus programs are also very welcome.
  >
  >There are no anti-virus programs because there are no viruses.  There are
  >a variety of security holes that crop up from time to time, but Windows is
  >far worse.

The main reasons there are no viruses is, first, that few have been
written, and second, that Linux is not so favourable an environment for
infection.  It is, however, a delusion to think that Linux/Unix viruses
are impossible.  The more we get clueless users who run everything as
root, the more likely we are to see viruses spreading.

To make a comparison with human health, good security is like good
hygiene, and people who live in filth are likely to get diseases.

     "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only
      begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should
      not perish, but have everlasting life."     John 3:16