Re: broken mouse in x session

Once upon a time, I heard Aaron Maxwell say

> I'm running what was CorelOS, pretty much converted to woody (remove
> all the packages with "corel" in them, edit sources.list, then apt-get
> update && apt-get upgrade).

The correct way to go.

> My mouse doesn't work in X, much as if I had
> the wrong argument to Protocol in 'Section "Pointer"' of XF86Config.
>
> Odd thing is, 24 hours ago it worked fine.  It stopped when I was apt-get
> install'ing things left and right [1], so I'm not sure what triggered it.
> (it stopped working right after I installed ssh.  Hm.)  In XF86Config, the
> Protocol and Device for the pointer (mouse) were "PS/2"  and "/dev/mouse"
> (/dev/mouse isa symlink to /dev/psaux). In the console, gpm still works
> fine, and it has the equivalent settings in its config file
> (/etc/gpm.conf; device=/dev/psaux, type=ps2).
>
> I have a very normal, 3-button, contemporary-model Logitech mouse, with a
> PS/2 connector.  In XF86Config, I tried changing the Protocol to (almost)
> everything listed in man XF86Config; and changing the Device to /dev/psaux
> and /dev/ttyS[0123].  In short, I tried every suggestion I found in the
> archives in debian-user and my head.  No avail.
>
> I did find that changing Device to be "/dev/gpmdata" and Protocol to
> Microsoft, MouseMan, or MouseSystems, it worked fine except my mouse's
> middle button didn't work.  I use this button a lot.  I can
> Emulate3Buttons, but it's not the same.

From your description I think you turned on gpm repeater mode, I guess.
rerun gpmconfig again and turn it off with "none" when asked.

In X you should use just plain "PS/2" for most 3 buttons Logitech mouse. I
use first mouse, mouse man, etc ... without a problem at all :)

> btw, this seems independent of WM (tested with twm; and enlightenment,
> both with and without gpm).
		Are you sure about this?

Chanop

--