Remote Apps

Id like to be able to run ftp and telnet to my home machine from work...normally this works fine.  Today I thought I would just boot up my home machine to the login and leave it there to save some processor...theoretically this is supposed to work?  I called another friend (this is b4 I left for work) and had him log in...this worked.  I left for work and when I arrived couldnt log in...hmm

Called my girlfriend and had her log in locally...now I could get in again from work...weird

I logged out remote , then came back an hour later...couldnt connect to or ping my machine...called her up again and had her startx thinking maybe I needed something running full time to have the remote network access.  Now things are working remotely without the hitch.

Now, my questions are:
1)Does remote network access depend on users logged in locally?

2) If a user is logged in locally and times out so to speak from not doing anything will this cut off remote access?

Thanks guys -Ethan