telnet and ftp in potato

Hi, I just installed potato and set up the computer correctly for use on
my LAN, I can ping it, and it can ping out.  The trouble is however, when
I try to telnet into the computer it connects but no login prompt
appears.  The same applies with ftp, it says connected, but again no login
prompt.  When i telnet localhost from itself it functions correctly, but
ftp'ing localhost doesn't work.  My hosts.allow is allowing everyone and
hosts.deny is denying no-one.  Any suggestions?!?

Thanks is advance,

Ian