Re: Some basic unix commanding, more please:

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 07:48:35PM +0300, virtanen wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Frodo Baggins wrote:
> > virtanen scripsit:
> > >
> > >This:
> > >
> > >*******************************************
> > >rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/;s/\.htm$/.html/g' *.HTM
> > >*******************************************
> > >
> > >looks very very
> > >BEAUTIFUL
> > >to my eyes!
>
> > Well,
> > I can see sarcasm when it bytes my nose:))) Nevertheles... Perl is
> > beautiful:)
>
> I'm deadly serious, not sarcastic. (Everything what I said is true. And I
> really liked the looks of that command.)
>
> But You probably know, where to get that script?
> There are so many perl packages, that I don't want to install them all...

Ah, glad someone else has discovered the joy of 'rename'.  It makes life
so much nicer. :)

As to where it's from:
perl-5.005: /usr/share/man/man1/rename-5.005.1p.gz
perl-5.005: /usr/bin/rename-5.005

Which you should have on Potato or Woody.  (Yet another reason to
upgrade from slink. :))

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting