problem with installation of kernel modules

Hi all,

I currently install Debian 2.1 from an ATAPI (IDE) CD-ROM drive.
I have problems to execute the step "install kernel modules". The setup
software refuses to mount my CD-ROM drive. I get a list with entries from
/dev/hda/ to /dev/hdh/. I tried all alternatives but in all cases I
recieved the error message: could not mount CD-ROM drive.

What is wrong here? As I successfully booted the Linux kernel from Cd-ROM
at the beginning of the install procedure it is a big surprise for me that
suddenly Linux refuses to mount my CD-ROM drive.

How can I fix this problem?

With kind regards

Christian