Re: Gnus broken by Emacs upgrade!!

Hi Debians!

> > > After I did the upgrade today to Emacs 20.6-2, this happens whenever I
> > > try to run Gnus:
> >
> > Yes, I got the same thing.  A stopgap measure that worked for me
> > was to go into /usr/share/emacs/20.6/lisp/gnus and delete all the
> > .elc files, leaving only the corresponding .el files.  Apparently
> > compiling these files triggers a bug.  (You will have to make sure
> > you have emacs20-el installed first, of course.)
>
> Same thing here.  I installed gnus to work around it.  The version is
> different from that of emacs20 and it comes with MIME support which I
> really like.  Now I can read all those Japanese headers, finally!

Apt-get upgraded my GNU Emacs to 20.6 while getting mule-ucs. I
installed the newest Gnus. But now Gnus will not start and I get the
following message from cron.

/etc/cron.daily/suidmanager:
File /usr/lib/emacs/20.3/i386-debian-linux-gnu/movemail registered but not
+installed

AFAIR movemail was never properly installed.
What shall I do with this 20.3 directory.

Generally I use XEmacs, but I wanted to try mule-ucs, which only comes
for GNU Emacs. Please correct me if this is wrong!

How can I start gnus in Emacs? I have no .el files in the above
mentioned gnus directory.

TIA
juh

--
Das Realismuskonzept in Krzysztof Kieslowskis DEKALOG
http://www.koeln.netsurf.de/~janulrich.hasecke/Dekalog/welcome.html