Re: HD Problems...!!!!

Larry Shields wrote:

>  I am not sure if anyone can help me out with this problem or not, but here
>  is what happened this morning...
>
> When I turned on the monitor, there were a bunch of error's on the screen,
> my 6.4hd keep'ed trying to be accessed, but it could'nt...Here is what it
> was showing on the screen...
>
> hda: read_intr: Status=0x59 {DriveReadySeekCompleteDataRequest ERROR}
> hda: read_intr: Error 0x10 {SectorNotFound}LBAsect=4193029, sector=64
>
> Has anyone had a problem like this...??? If so what can I do to correct the
> problem, other than sending the HD back to Western Digital to see if they
> can fix it without loosing any of my data on the hardrive...
>
> Any help on this would be appreicated, Thanks...
>
> Larry Shields WD9ESU
> AMPRnet: wd9esu.ampr.org IPaddr 44.92.0.60
> E-Mail: larrysh@chorus.net
> ICQ:6221703

I get the same kind of errors with an older WD drive. There
have been quite a few reports on the list about this.
I believe it has to do with apm/bios spinning the drive down
and back up again: If I set the drive to never spin down
(hdparm -S0 /dev/hdx), it never complains.
The error occurs when the system is waiting for the drive to
get back up again. Sometimes, it will take a minute or two,
then all will be fine, sometimes I have to shut the thing down
with ctrl-alt-del, which usually takes about an hour, and the
drive is fsck'ed on reboot.
The solution I've found after a complete and a partial
disk-crash is: avoid WD drives. Some of them (even new) are
faulty, some aren't. The alternative is to stop them from
shutting down with the hdparm-command.
hth
Vitux

--