Re: Mailing list managers

On Sun, Jun 04, 2000 at 11:08:36AM -0400, Randy Edwards wrote:

>    What other mailing list managers are you using?  (I've only used
> majordomo and mailman.)  What are their strengths and weaknesses?  How about
> their requirements (e.g. require Apache or a web-based cgi module)?

I'm using Listar.  It's very small and fast[1] and can be driven entirely
via e-mail.  It has commands which are largely compatible with majordomo
for regular users (ie, if you send it majordomo commands it will
generally DTRT) which is a plus if you're using it to replace majordomo.

There's a web interface in the new version, but that's not packaged for
Debian yet (the maintainer is also working on debconf support) and I
haven't played with it at all.  People on the mailing list seem very
impressed with it.

The main weakness is that people with broken mail clients may find it
hard to do some stuff via e-mail - authentication relies on users being
able to forward back cleanly cookies of various kinds.  I guess the web
interface would circumvent that.

[1] It's written in C rather than a scripting language.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/