Re: postgres database framework disappeared: Solved

Johann Spies <jhspies@adept.co.za> writes:

> On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 12:05:45AM +0100, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> > Johann Spies wrote:
> >   >On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 11:03:23PM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> >   >In  /etc/passwd  the line was
> >   >postgres:x:31:32:postgres:/var/lib/postgres:/bin/sh
> >   >                              ^^^^
> >   >I removed the /lib part and then after a reboot it worked.
> >   >
> >   >
> >   >How /var/postgres became /var/lib/postgres I do not know.  Earlier
> >   >today there was no problem and I did not edit that file for months.

The version in potato changes the default postgres home directory from
/var/postgres to /var/lib/postgres, so if you upgraded from slink to
potato that might affect things.  As I understand it, however, it
doesn't touch /etc/passwd, but I could be mistaken.  You might also
take a look at /etc/postgresql/postmaster.init.  The potato version
points PGDATA and, by default, POSTGRES_HOME, to
/var/lib/postgres/data and /var/lib/postgres/data respectively. I
think the change is intended for FHS compliance.

How that would affect things over the course of one day, I'm not
sure, but clearly something must have changed during that day.

--Miguel