mpg123 and sound problems

I have been having problem with sound and mp3 playing on my Potato
install. mpg123 dies when trying to play variable bit rate mp3s incoded by
lame(error message attached) and sound craps out on me when any sound,
save CD playing, is used the error sound sends out is repeatedly thus:

	Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?

This is quite odd because I am not using modular sound and the kernel I am
using was compiled using the same config file as my Redhat install. (Im
keeping RH around while I grow accustomed to Debian). If you have any idea
what the problems may be throw me some suggestions.
					Thanks
					Adam S Edgar
High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layer 1, 2 and 3.
Version 0.59q (1999/Jan/26). Written and copyrights by Michael Hipp.
Uses code from various people. See 'README' for more!
THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Title  : The Times They Are A-Changin'   Artist: Bob Dylan
Album  : The Best of Bob Dylan           Year: 1997
Comment:                                 Genre: Folk/Rock

Directory: /home/share/mp3/Bob_Dylan/The_Best_of_Bob_Dylan/
Playing MPEG stream from The_Times_They_Are_AChangin.mp3 ...
MPEG 1.0 layer III, 64 kbit/s, 44100 Hz stereo
big_values too large!
mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 512 bits!
big_values too large!
big_values too large!
big_values too large!
big_values too large!
big_values too large!
big_values too large!
big_values too large!
big_values too large!
big_values too large!
big_values too large!
big_values too large!
big_values too large!
big_values too large!
big_values too large!
Blocktype == 0 and window-switching == 1 not allowed.