disk space problem

Hi, I am having disk space problems with one of my partitions but I have
another partition that is free so what I did was download software on my
second partition and created a directory there and linked it into my home
directory in the hope of being able to install programs there (on the free
second partition) but I think I'm doing something wrong since when I try to
make..I get these errors but when I moved them to my true home
directory...make works...is there something I missed? I thought just creating
the link would make it work.

Hope somebody can help

make -C src/ptlib/unix both ; make -C tools/asnparser both ;
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/ext/pwlib/src/ptlib/unix'
Makefile:209: /home/jhou/pwlib/make/unix.mak: No such file or directory
grep: /home/jhou/pwlib/version.h: No such file or directory
grep: /home/jhou/pwlib/version.h: No such file or directory
grep: /home/jhou/pwlib/version.h: No such file or directory
grep: /home/jhou/pwlib/version.h: No such file or directory
Makefile:354: /home/jhou/pwlib/make/lib.mak: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/home/jhou/pwlib/make/lib.mak'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/ext/pwlib/src/ptlib/unix'
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/ext/pwlib/tools/asnparser'
Makefile:51: /home/jhou/pwlib/make/ptlib.mak: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/home/jhou/pwlib/make/ptlib.mak'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/ext/pwlib/tools/asnparser'
make: *** [both] Error 2