Mouse troubles

Need a little advice. I just loaded potato on my machine. I'm using a ps2
style mouse with the psaux device. I also have gpm loaded and the mouse
works fine with it. The trouble come when I load the GUI (gnome at this
point). All the settings in XF86Config are the same as I've had before
/dev/psaux and ps2(with RedHat and SuSE). Potato was a clean install, so
there are no remnants left behind from an upgrade. Any ideas where I can
look for a fix?

Thanks.