Re: What did I do wrong?

Kevin Smith <kas@lucent.com> writes:
> At 01:38 PM 5/10/2000 +0800, Andrew McRobert wrote:> >hi
> >
> >... you need to configure your network if you haven't already done so ...
> >the files you need to edit are:
> >
> >/etc/init.d/network & /etc/hostname
>
> I thought that was all done during the initial install, anyway:
>
> /etc/init.d/network - eth0 - unknown interface......
>
> /etc/hostname - is set correctly (no domain).
>

> >I also find that sometimes my PCMCIA card isn't detected @ startup (and
> >therefore no indication of network connectivity on card). I find that
> >taking out the card & reinserting it after you've logged in usually fixes
> >the problem .... I'm sure there's a better way but this works for me.
>
> I didn't think PCMCIA was supposed to be hot-insertable?

Huh? That's PCMCIA's main claim to fame. Yes, you can unplug PCMCIA
cards and plug them back in while the system is running. In fact, on
my 600E there is an audible signal indicating when this happens. If I
plug my ethernet card in I hear two high beeps if the card is
recognized. If the card isn't recognized I hear a high beep then a low
beep. And when I remove a card I hear a single high beep. This is all
covered in the man page for cardmgr.

It certainly sounds like your card is not being recognized. Check the
files in /var/state/pcmcia.

Gary