What did I do wrong?

Installed debian from floppies on my IBM thinkpad 600E laptop.

Read all about "installing on Laptops" and decided to give it
a go anyway.....found that the PCMCIA card that I have for
my network is on the "newly supported" PCMCIA cards. In my
initial search it appeared that it was either not supported
or "implemented, but not officially supported" if there is
such a distinction.

Anyway, the README that I eventually got to after tracking down
information on this card (Xircom cardBus 10/100 + 56Modem),
indicated that it should already be supported in the base
load - or words to that effect.

Well, I've loaded up to the base system and now I can't see
the PCMCIA device or al least not the network. I tried
using "modconf" to add all the PCMCIA pieces and they all
indicated that they were installed correctly - now what?

I still do not get an indication that my ethernet is
active.

'ifconfig' only shows the "lo" interface - so I presume the
"eth0" interface will appear when my network card is
properly installed?

I know I'm missing a lot here - so I hope someone can help
with a few simple suggestions on what to look for and/or
try?

TIA!

Kevin Smith
KAS@lucent.com