Re: Which LINUX

Kevin A Smith wrote:

> I know the answer to this will be obvious to those on this list,
> but I wonder what criteria people have used to decide on which
> distribution to use...where/for what?
>
> I have debian on a desktop at home, simply a "users" setup. I
> now want to setup a laptop (IBM Thinkpad 600) with a development
> environment as well as the usual "office like" stuff (StarOffice
> I'm presuming) to handle the legacy corporate stuff like M$
> documents and presentations.
>
> I could do the debian stuff again, but I wondered if there are
> other candidates that I should consider. I chose debian for the
> home box at the recommendation of a friend (who actually did most
> of the installation for me remotely :).
>
> Kevin

Because of apt/dselect, I recommend you stay with a Debian variant. It doesn't have
to be pure Debian, but something like Corel Linux or Storm Linux might be more to
your liking.

I chose Debian because of it's philosophy; Debian seems to be the "purest" when it
comes to the ideal of Free Software. Stability in the Debian releases and the design
of apt/dselect (under the hood, not the trimmings) were just icing on the cake.