CD R/W no CD present?

I have been trying to get mu HP9200 SCSI CD R/W working.  The CD is identifed
at boot.  I have:
sg.o
sr_mod.o
ide-scsi.o (although I don't think I need it)

set as modules.

When I run cdrecord -scanbus the CD Writer is again identified but when I
run X-cd-roast I keep getting the error message that there is no CD in the
drive even when I have a CD in the drive.  Any idea what I can do to fix this?

Also, how do I mount the CD Writer to read CD's as I would a normal CD?

i.e for a normal CD mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom

would I

mount /dev/sr0 /cdwriter?

When I do this locks my system up?

Any help would be appreciated.