hi and ?

hi folks,

my name is rob and i'm a project engineer with a company in bavaria (no, not
bmw :-) ). i'm using debian/gnu linux 2.1, kernel version 2.0.38 on 2
machines: one laptop (amd k6/266MHz, 64MB ram) and one pc (i486DX2, 66MHz,
16MB ram).
recently i managed that both machines recognize their nic's (yeah!), which are
a 3com 3c589D (PCMCIA) in the laptop and a UMC9008 (ISA, NE2000 clone) in the
other pc.
now, as you might have guessed, i am planning to hook those two up via
ethernet, so i can telnet from one machine to the other, mount files systems
of the other machine and do all other kinds of fancy things. (yes, i'm a
newbie ;) ).
BUT at the moment i can't seem to figure out what has to be done in order to
set the IP adresses for both machines right, i.e. i don't know in which files
i have to enter what to make all this work.
i have read the ethernet-HOWTO and the networking-HOWTO, but somehow it was
pretty late at night and i wasn't able to get the info i wanted. on the other
hand i'm sure that, as no internetworking is involved, this should be the
easiest exercise for you gurus out there, so i hope you can give me some hints
how to proceed or point me to some documents on the net that deal with my
"problem"

thanx in advace
rob