Damaged dpkg

Hi,

to get some space on my hard disk I deleted the directories and files under
the /var/lib/dpkg tree. Later I found out that this was a BIG mistake
because dpkg isn't working any more. I managed to access the basic
dselect-functions like defining the access method and selecting the packages
I want to (re)install but I am not able to start the installation, neither
via dselect nor direct with dpkg --install. Even unpacking packages is
impossible now...
I suppose that I need to resemble the /var/lib/dpkg tree and just want to
know if there is any way doing this.
Thanks for your help

Thomas