Re[2]: Emacs - was Re: Mail/news software

Tuesday, May 02, 2000, 9:10:53 PM, Pat wrote:
> important and I don't see Windows 9x or NT giving this, although I have zero
> experience with NT. But I do know that to kill a runaway process in Win95
> you have to Ctrl-Alt-Delete, wait for the little window to pop up (forgot
> what it's called), and click on it and tell Windows to close the program.
> Typing 'kill' seems so much simpler. The point, I guess, is the same as
> yours: both CLI and GUI have pros and cons. I like my linux box where both
> are often available. (you say that further down too.)

    Not to mention that the little window only shows registered processes, not
all processes.  It requires explorer to be running to be able to work and
often times it is a component of explorer that is hanging.  It also hopes that
the queue is not jammed, which often it is.  So a lot of times you get a blue
screen saying the system is busy, hit return to wait or CAD to reboot.

    I dunno, but a kill off my WYSE terminal on the serial port seems a lot
easier because it has a lot /less/ on it to go wrong, actually works and lets
me kill all processes, not just registered ones.

    For me it isn't a GUI/CLI mindset it is simply the ability to do what
needs to be done.  Windows doesn't let me do that in most cases.  The standard
'nix utilities provide a lot of automation for mundane tasks.